Mar 31, 2014 11:10 AM
Ella writes, "Hi Outblush! I'm going to be a counselor at a camp in Wisconsin this summer and I need major wardrobe help. I'm from New York and I don't know anyone going to this camp so I need to look confident and cool. I'm looking for effortless basics like hoodies and sweatpants and t shirts (counselors can't wear tanks). I found a bunch of good stuff at Brandy Mellvile but I want to mix it up. Can you guys help a girl out?"
Ella, Ella! Thanks for letting me live vicariously through your wardrobe. It's been a few years since I did the camp counselor gig, but man, that was the best summer job, ever! Here are my picks for good basics, and I'll throw in some tips for free: stick with durable fabrics in solid colors for easy mix and matching, skip the skinnies in favor of a loser jean fit, and don't underestimate how chilly a Wisconsin summer morning can be! Have a blast this summer!
1. American Apparel Unisex California Fleece Pullover Hoodie ($42)
2. ASOS Boyfriend T-Shirt with I Love the Lifeguard Print ($26) - Okay, only break this one out if your lifeguard has a sense of humor (and doesn't accessorize with a jealous girlfriend!).
3. The North Face Allabout Jacket ($99)
4. Sun Me Up Tee ($30)
5. Pickwick & Weller The Archer Baseball Tee ($36)
6. Athleta Burnout Headband ($14)
7. Sock It To Me Rainbow Knee Highs ($10)
8. American Apparel Straight Leg Yoga Pant ($35)
9. H&M Chino Shorts ($25)
10. J.Crew Boyfriend Jean ($125) - Spendy, but super durable and still trendy without looking out of place in the camp mess hall!
Frustrated in your search for that perfect leather handbag, red stiletto pump, or whatever makes your heart go thump in the night? Click here to check out our requests for you, the reader, and to contact us, and we might do the shopping work for you in a future Personal Shopper feature!
Layla here: At a strapping 5'2", I've got plenty of tricks up my sleeve for fellow petite girls who need to look fashion fabulous. Plus, I make all of my beauty purchases online just so I can get free trial size samples in the mail. If you're not sure about a product, chances are I've tried it! I'd be glad to recommend my favs. I also have a knack for men's apparel and gifts, especially geek guy gifts, thanks to the expertise of my own gadget-inclined guy.
If you've got a product or service that you'd like to promote on Outblush, click here to find out about our advertising opportunities.