Jul 13, 2011 10:13 AM
Tania wrote to us: Hi, I'm writing this on behalf of my 60-year-old mum because I personally have no idea how to help her out. My cousin (her niece) is getting married on a beach in hot and humid South East Asia and we need to look for an appropriate dress for my mum. My cousin said we're supposed to be dressed nicely even though it's on the beach (nothing too casual).
1. What size (shoe or dress) are you? Size 6 - 8 dress
2. What is your maximum budget? $200
3. If this is for a wedding or event (i.e. a party, a birthday), when IS the event?
Wedding on a beach. End of September. It's always hot and humid in South East Asia anyway.
4. If this is for a gift for a person, please tell us two things they like, and conversely, two things they DON'T like.
My mother doesn't like anything gawdy or over the top. Simple and elegant and age appropriate is the way to go. She seems to be afraid of anything that's too tight because she's overly conscious of her waist fat protruding but I personally think she looks great for a 60-year-old
5. What are you looking for? Give us specifics!!!
Age appropriate dress for a 60-year-old lady that's suitable for a beach wedding. Could be sleeveless or shortsleeved. Dress length possibly knee length or slightly above the knee.
Thanks so much!
Hey Tania, it's sweet of you to help out your mom. I focused on dresses that were either cotton or chiffon. The top row of dresses are cotton, which is lightweight and very breathable. The second row of dresses are chiffon which will stay light and flowy no matter how humid it gets. I hope your mum enjoys the wedding! - Robin
1. Suzi Chin Maggy Boutique Ruffled Cotton Blend Dress ($118)
2. T Tahari Cali Dress ($128)
3. Adriana Papell Print Stretch Cotton Sheath Dress ($53 on sale)
4. Eliza J Printed Cotton Shift Dress ($18)
5. Patra Beaded Iridescent Chiffon Dress ($138)
6. Maggy London Keyhole Chiffon Dress ($118)
7. Komarov Flutter Sleeve Pleated Chiffon Dress ($120)
8. Jack and Ginger Holly Blouson Chiffon Dress ($128)
Frustrated in your search for that perfect leather handbag, red stiletto pump, or whatever makes your heart go thump in the night? Click here to check out our requests for you, the reader, and to contact us, and we might do the shopping work for you in a future Personal Shopper feature!
If you've got a product or service that you'd like to promote on Outblush, click here to find out about our advertising opportunities.