Mar 22, 2012 10:10 AM
Carolyn wrote: "Hi Outblush! Long time reader, first time writer. I'm hoping you can help me find a navy sequin shrug/bolero/cardigan for my wedding.
1. What size (shoe or dress) are you? I wear a size 6-8 tops, so small to medium brand-depending. I top out at 5'4" and I have naturally dirty blonde hair, very very pale.
2. What is your maximum budget? Ideally I wouldn't spend more than $150 on this, as it is a special occasion and I hope to get more wear out of it. I've looked at so many "bridal cover ups" and they're all so floofy and ridiculous and serve no actual purpose.
3. If this is for a wedding or event (i.e. a party, a birthday), when IS the event? Yes! This is for my wedding, May 26.
4. If this is for a gift for a person, please tell us two things they like, and conversely, two things they DON'T like. n/a
5. What are you looking for? Give us specifics!!! This is the ideal, except I'd love it to be in navy, and of course it doesn't exist anymore:
This one is okay, but I worry it might be too tight-fitting across the back, and it's a bit shorter:
My dress is ivory, with cap sleeves and a big kimono-style sash/bow at my natural waist, but I know that once the sun goes down I'll get a little chilly and I'd like something I can put on that will look fashionable, keep my arms/shoulders warm and still fit in with the fashion of the dress. It's the Cecilia from J Crew (but looks so different on the model than it does on me! I have actual curves, for example, and we're adding a kimono style sash to the waist) and my shoes are from Seychelles. The wedding and reception are at an 112-year-old barn in rural Maryland. It's a gorgeous venue and we're trying to keep all the decor and dress within the rustic chic look, so sequins are fine by me!
If you can't find anything with sequins I understand. Sigh. ;)
6. Please tell us if there's something you really don't like. I don't want anything that's jersey, or too long (it should hit above the waist so that I don't have to deal with the sash at my waist and any buttons on a cardigan.
Thank you SO much Outblush! I hope you can help!!
Congrats on your upcoming wedding, Carolyn! I can totally appreciate wanting something you could wear again, on special dates and maybe even your anniversary. I tried to pull a wide variety of navy shrugs and boleros in your price range, so you'd have a good selection. You can always have a good local seamstress tack on some extra sequins (or go to town yourself with a needle & thread!), too. Let me know if any of these are as perfect for you as your fiance!
PS - #3, #4, and #11 are from UK websites, but they do deliver to the States. Keep in mind that delivery from England might take a bit longer, so you'd want to order ASAP to be on the safe side.
The Dress: J.Crew Cecilia Gown ($495)
1. Ambre Babzoe Shrug ($105)
2. Tulip Bridal Navy Blue short sleeve corded lace wedding bolero jacket ($45, on backorder)
3. John Lewis Women Sequin Shrug (£49, about $78 USD)
4. Jacques Vert Monique Sequin Bolero (£79, about $125 USD)
5. Fornarina Shrug ($55)
6. Patrizia Pepe Sera Shrug ($118)
7. P.A.R.O.S.H. Lace Shrug ($148)
8. Phoebe Couture Floral Applique Cropped Bolero ($87 on sale)
10. P.A.R.O.S.H. Shrug ($118)
11. début navy sequinned bolero (£28, about $45 USD)
Frustrated in your search for that perfect leather handbag, red stiletto pump, or whatever makes your heart go thump in the night? Click here to check out our requests for you, the reader, and to contact us, and we might do the shopping work for you in a future Personal Shopper feature!
Janetor here: I'm an expert in helping out fellow plus-sized curvy chicas, and also adore requests for formal wear and weddings (I scored my own wedding dress on clearance for $99), special events, beauty product quandaries, and what-can-I-wear-with-this-[fill in the blank]-I-just-bought requests! I also may or may not be a crazy cat lady and/or always reading at least three books at any given time.