May 21, 2012 11:20 AM
Stacy wrote: "Hi Janetor! I have 2 weddings to attend this summer and figured this would be a perfect excuse to splurge a little on the amazing yellow Tory Burch Beverly heels. But I'm having a difficult time finding a dress (or 2...) to wear with them. I definitely do not want to wear white or black. I'm 5'-3", a size 6-8, love girly dresses (as the bows on the shoes would suggest), am not afraid of color, and my hourglass body type looks good in 50's era styled dresses that are tight at the top but are fuller below the natural waist. I would like to keep the dresses under $150 if there's 2, but would go up to $300-$400 if there was one stunning dress i could wear to both events. The first wedding is on May 26th and I would love any advise you could give. Thanks! Stacy"
Thanks for the request, Stacy! Since those shoes have a whole lotta awesome going on (print, three colors, strap, bow, and pointed toe), I decided to go for single-color dresses in fun hues and '50s-'60s style silhouettes. Hope one or two of these are just right for you!
1. The Shoes: Tory Burch 'Beverly' Pumps ($295)
2. Eliza J Sleeveless Scoop Neck Satin Dress ($118)
3. Emily and Fin Pleased to See Hue Dress in Green ($115, ships later in May)
4. Bettie Page With Only a Wink Dress in Peridot ($140)
5. Queen of Heartz 1950's Style Red Cotton Sateen Scallop Brenda Swing Dress ($116)
6. BB Dakota Harmony Wrap Dress ($89)
7. Trina Turk Cotton Reina Dress ($248)
8. Reiss Nikita Fit and Flare Dress ($320)
9. Unique Vintage Navy Blue Satin Happily Ever After Pleated Swing Dress ($110)
10. Modcloth Make the Cut Collection Effortless Allure Dress in Violet ($130, ships later in May)
Frustrated in your search for that perfect leather handbag, red stiletto pump, or whatever makes your heart go thump in the night? Click here to check out our requests for you, the reader, and to contact us, and we might do the shopping work for you in a future Personal Shopper feature!
Janetor here: I'm an expert in helping out fellow plus-sized curvy chicas, and also adore requests for formal wear and weddings (I scored my own wedding dress on clearance for $99), special events, beauty product quandaries, and what-can-I-wear-with-this-[fill in the blank]-I-just-bought requests! I also may or may not be a crazy cat lady and/or always reading at least three books at any given time.