Andrea writes, "Hi Outblush lovelies, I'm having something of a conundrum. I'm surprising a friend of mine for her bday next month with a spontaneous visit, and the theme of her party is going to be Motown prom. The only problem is, I have nothing Motown! I don't even know where to begin, to be honest. I was looking at this sparkly number from Tibi, but I'm not sure if that's even the right thing! Please help. I'm 5'10" and a size 6. As a tall chica, it's important that I not get something too short, otherwise things just look a little...obscene, especially as I'm stumbling through the streets."
Love that you're not afraid of sequins, but the Tibi pick looks very 21st century to us. We happen to know first hand that you can pull off some wild looks, so we're going all out. If you do want sleeves, bell sleeves, or at least full length embellished sleeves are a must when channeling late 60s early 70s glamor. As far as shapes are concerned, the timeless fitted dress is always appropriate, but baby dolls and wreally anything of the flowy chiffon variety reigned in the era. Here are a selection of vintage inspired, and some truly vintage pieces with enough panache for Diana Ross herself.
1. SALON PETITE Gem Floral Prom Dress ($80)
2. Boutique By Jaeger Valentine Prom Dress ($160)
3. Benny-Gold Prom Dress ($109)
4. Yumi 60s Beaded Statement Neckline Dress ($54)
5. Babydoll Satin Chiffon Cocktail Dress ($96)
6. Rare Opulence Ruched metallic-lace dress ($220, also comes in purple)
7. Lipsy Embellished One Shoulder Drape Dress ($72)
8. French Connection Armoures High Neck Dress ($250)
9. Eliza J Sequin V-Neck Sheath Dress ($158)
10. 60s Turquoise Chiffon Jeweled Cocktail Dress ($95)
11. Vintage 70s Brocade Boho Goddess Kimono Dress ($150)
12. Vintage 70s DEEP V PLEATED Bust Boho Halter Dress ($95)
13. 60s Hot Pink Chiffon Party Dress ($35)
If you have a classic, form fitting dress, you might consider decking on the glitziest gems you have and topping with a statement vintage coat. We'd do the totally pimp 60s Vintage Faux Mink Zip Bottom Coat ($125), or something equally over the top, cape selection permitting.
P.S. this just reminded us of you: 70s Vintage LILLIE RUBIN Crochet Knit Copper METALLIC Sweater Set Dress ($195)
Hope that helps, Andrea!
Cashmere: When I'm not scouring the internet for treats, I'm eating the museum world whole. I'm clutch in finding design smart home decor, artful oddities, and antique's roadshow miscellany. If you have a pet that you want to shower with gifts, call on me. Put your search for a statement piece to an end; from quirky hats to art jewelry--I'm your girl.
If you've got a product or service that you'd like to promote on Outblush, click here to find out about our advertising opportunities.