Mar 25, 2014 11:05 AM
Elizabeth writes: "Hello! I'm hoping for some help finding the right outfit for my sister-in-law's wedding. Typically, I have no problem finding dresses for these types of events. In fact, I usually have two or three new dresses at any given time awaiting a purpose. This, though, is not a typical wedding. My sister-in-law is a horseback-riding, gun-toting, camping-in-the-winter (in northern Wisconsin) kind of girl. Her wedding is essentially a camping and ATV riding trip in the Black Hills of South Dakota that happens to include an exchange of vows. While she is planning to wear a wedding dress, the groom and everyone else will be wearing jeans (gasp!). The ceremony itself is going to involve extensive hiking and/or four wheeler-riding to get there, so I need a practical outfit that can get a little (or a lot) dirty.
1. What size (shoe or dress) are you? 0 or XS
2. What is your maximum budget? $100 or less for a top; I should be able to wear jeans and boots that I already own.
3. If this is for a wedding or event (i.e. a party, a birthday), when IS the event? Last weekend in May (average high temperatures in the mid-sixties, with lows in the forties, so there is potential for things to get chilly)
4. If this is for a gift for a person, please tell us two things they like, and conversely, two things they DON'T like. Nope. Totally selfish request!
5. What are you looking for? Give us specifics!!! I was thinking of wearing skinny jeans tucked into boots with some sort of wedding-appropriate-yet-casual flannel and/or plaid tunic-ish top. (Though I'm not sure that even exists.) I like puffed sleeves, polka dots, tie neck blouses, pencil skirts, ruffles, and cardigans...none of which are probably very appropriate for this event!
6. Please tell us if there's something you really don't like. Scoop necklines -- I have the build of a middle school boy, so they look a little anti-climactic."
Dearest Elizabeth! Carlota here. This is definitely one of the strangest requests I've ever received, but I'd love to help you out. I'm a huge fan of the great outdoors as well. Usually fashion and ATV riding don't mix too well, but we're going to have you looking good for this wedding. Hope you like my picks! XOXO
1. Lovers + Friends Luna Button Down Top ($60, on sale)
2. Free People Shibori Plaid Buttondown ($98)
3. Reverse Education In Rebellion Shirt ($58)
4. Zuri Zuri By Flora Plaid Metallic Thread Blouse ($30, on sale)
5. GUESS Trista Plaid Military Shirt ($79)
6. After Party Vintage Keepin' On Flannel Shirt ($68)
7. Miss Me Plaid and Crocheted Top ($61)
8. Free People Clip Dot Plaid Buttondown ($70, on sale)
9. Denim & Supply Ralph Lauren Snap-Front Plaid Shirt ($70)
Carlota here: I'm a true girly-girl. I love strapless dresses, skinny jeans, basic ribbed tanks, lace intimates, patent peep-toes, jeweled sandals, buttery-soft leather satchels, sparkly pendants....you get the point! I also love to save cash when I can, so consider me your personal concierge when you're looking for luxury-for-less. I also have a crazy husband, two little munchkins (Carlo and Milly) and a furry yellow Lab. All of them are sweet and lovable, but they certainly do occupy a good portion of my day. However,l I do L-O-V-E shopping with a passion and finding amazing deals for myself as well as for others.