Natasha writes: Writing you for help currently has me in a state of nervousness and giddiness all at the same time, but I am definitely in need of your shopping powers! My brother is getting married in 4 weeks (9-10-11 to be exact), and I am in need of a rehearsal dinner dress. I am a Southern girl who loves ruffles, bows, and stand up collars, but I can't seem to find a dress that encompasses any one of those attributes and won't make me look like I am 15 years old or 50 years old. No disrespect to either age group, but I am 30, and I would like to look classy and timeless, and at the same time, young and fun. My body tends to present a little bit of a challenge as well...I am 5'1" with a 34 DD chest. Finding something that balances me out and helps me look a little taller is always an issue. I usually have to buy dresses in a size 8 to fit my top half and then tailor the rest. I would like to stay in the fall color pallet (purples, greens, oranges, golden yellows), and avoid black and red. Any direction or advice you could offer would be amazing!
What a fun wedding date! And what a fun dress you've been looking for. Unfortunately, when I went looking, I must have found all the same humpty-dumpty dresses you did: high-collars with low style. Yuck. But hopefully you'll agree that I found a way to incorporate some of your style elements into one dress, sometimes with the addition of an accessory. Send our congrats to your brosif. Mazel tov! -Magzilla
1. Max Studio Asymmetrical Dress ($148 on sale)
2. ModCloth Next Weekend Dress ($50) with Zara Belt ($36)
3. ModCloth Classic Combinations Dress ($73)
4. Z Spoke by Zac Posen Bow Embellished Dress ($149)
5. Dolce Vita Collar Dress ($210) with Zara Belt ($36)
6. Jessica Howard Sleeveless Ruffle Collar Wrap Mermaid Evening Gown ($90) except for this full-length gown, you take the money you're saving by buying it on sale and have it brought up to your desired length at a dress maker's shop.
Frustrated in your search for that perfect leather handbag, red stiletto pump, or whatever makes your heart go thump in the night? Click here to check out our requests for you, the reader, and to contact us, and we might do the shopping work for you in a future Personal Shopper feature!
If you've got a product or service that you'd like to promote on Outblush, click here to find out about our advertising opportunities.