Apr 2, 2014 11:05 AM
Jane Doe* wrote: "My brother recently approached me with the task of helping him pick out an engagement ring for his long-time, soon-to-be-doctor, beautiful girlfriend. I adore his girlfriend. In fact, I feel my brother and I would not be as close today if it weren't for her. She softened my brother's hard exterior - and taught him a lot about learning to love and accept the illogical ways of his crazy sister. She has a beautiful soul, and I want to help him find a ring as timeless and beautiful as her. So far we have been taking the Etsy route, and I am wondering what other options are out there for vintage rings. Or sites that make custom rings based on vintage styles? Can you help? I've included an example below of the style we have been looking at. I know it's a daunting task...but Outblush is my lifeline for everything else in my life - so why not for my future sister-in-laws engagement ring?!
OMG OMG OMG, this is so sweet, Jane! We are all dying here in the office, and pretty much all wanted to chime in on this one. A few sites that we love are Gemvara (custom settings with different stones, metals, etc) Antique Jewelry Mall (settings only, he'd have to buy a diamond elsewhere), and Brilliant Earth (ethical origin fine jewelry, you pick the setting and diamond separately and they put the ring together for you). I also love Turtle Love Artisan & Vintage Jewelry and Sylvie. Etsy and eBay are also popular sources, but those always come with a buyer beware caveat. I've lined up a few sample styles from some of the above jewelry designers for you, below.
Enjoy... And please let us know what your brother picks, and if the lucky lady says "yes"!
1. Vintage Cut Corner Halo Diamond Engagement Ring (from $2000 for setting, center stone not included)
2. 14k Rose Gold Lyra Diamond Ring ($1,025 for setting, center stone not included)
3. Vintage Engraved Round Brilliant Center Diamond Engagement Ring (from $1500 for setting, center stone not included)
4. Loving Hearts Art Deco Antique Style Engagement Ring Setting for a 1 Carat Round or Princess Cut Diamond in 14 Karat Rose ( Pink ) Gold ($1180)
5. 14k Rose Gold Tiara Matched Set ($1,900 for setting, center stone not included)
6. Matilda Ring ($14,105 as shown, different prices w/ different metals/gems)
7. Art Deco Diamond Filigree Engagement Ring in 14 Karat Rose ( Pink ) Gold ($2290)
Frustrated in your search for that perfect leather handbag, red stiletto pump, or whatever makes your heart go thump in the night? Click here to check out our requests for you, the reader, and to contact us, and we might do the shopping work for you in a future Personal Shopper feature!
Janetor here: I may spend my days wearing yoga pants and T-shirts, chasing a frenetic toddler and two cats, but I dearly love fashion and pride myself on never paying full price for clothes, shoes, or accessories. Ping me if you're seeking out formal wear, plus-size fashions, or beauty products - or if you just want to discuss the latest season of Downton Abbey or Doctor Who over a pitcher of sangria and some nachos.
*Name changed to protect the innocent