Apr 16, 2011 9:20 AM
Cori writes: "I'm due to have our first daughter any day now, and all I can think about is what the heck I am going to wear this spring/summer while my body shrinks back into shape. I want to wear all the cute trendy things I've been denied for the past 9 months! What are a few "forgiving" items I can add to my wardrobe as I make the transition back to my old body? I am eagerly awaiting your suggestions :) -Cori"
Hi Cori, I'm Found of You, and I have a toddler. During his first year of adorable life, I went from being a size 16 to a size 8, and here are my tips for you:
1) Wear patterned shirts, preferably in dark colors. This will hide all the spit up stains. Go for floaty tops that hide your tummy (which will never be the same again no matter what you do, sorry).
2) Buy lots of nursing tanks that unclip at the top (see # ). You can wear them under regular tops and just lift your shirt and unclip your tank to nurse. It's very modest that way. The shirt acts like a built in nursing cover. Wearing the tank with a cardigan works well, too.
3) Nursing bras and nursing tops are generally a pain in the ass. Don't buy any unless you test them with your actual baby first.
4) Since you might go through a lot of sizes before you return to your previous size, I suggest borrowing clothes from friends and family. I have a mother who is an expert yo-yo dieter and has an wide array of clothing in various sizes. It saved me a ton of cash not having to buy new clothes every time I went down a size.
5) If you buy any skirts or pants, buy stretchy ones. They will stay with you longer. Black yoga pants are the new-mommy uniform. Literally every mommy group I go to, all the moms are wearing them. They make everyone look svelte!
6) If you want to wear shorts, go for a longer cut. It's more flattering.
7) MOST IMPORTANT: When you're packing your little lady's diaper bag, don't forget to throw in a spare shirt for yourself. You don't want to get stranded somewhere covered in barf/pee/worse.
1 - Bravado Nursing Tank ($49)
2 - Heritage 1981 Knit Top ($15)
3 - Floral Chiffon Top ($15)
4 - Tiered Tank ($27)
5 - Lee Comfort Waist Shorts ($36, in four colors)
6 - Forever21 Cardigan ($14)
7 - Tek Gear Yoga Pants ($20)
8 - Mossimo Convertible Maxi Skirt ($25)
Frustrated in your search for that perfect leather handbag, red stiletto pump, or whatever makes your heart go thump in the night? Click here to check out our requests for you, the reader, and to contact us, and we might do the shopping work for you in a future Personal Shopper feature!
If you've got a product or service that you'd like to promote on Outblush, click here to find out about our advertising opportunities.