Nov 5, 2013 11:10 AM
N. writes "I am going to Bangladesh in January for a friend's wedding. We will be wearing saris and abayas (which the bride is providing) but the wedding has seven events and we need to bring three dresses. I don't want to get a sari here in the US, where it might not be of the same quality, so I turned to your site! (Which I love by the way!) I have nothing moderately "modest" in my repertoire, but I saw this dress on episode 2 of Reign and it meets all the criteria: sleeves, no boobs, floor length. (I am allowed to wear white since the bride is wearing red.) Plus, this dress won't make me look like I 'm wearing a mumu. I have no idea where the dress is from or if it's within a normal human budget. I am a 34 G, a large, and about 5'6. Please help! Please!
Hi N.! I've got some good news and bad news for you. The good news is that I found the exact dress and belt. The bad news is that at about $6,000 for the dress and $600 for the belt, they're nowhere near a normal human budget. But, with the help of my co-editor, Layla (who found those stunning belts), I got to work and put together a few alternatives to help you create a similar look. Chances are, only dresses 6 and 7 will be modest enough on their own. You'll probably want to work some magic with draping scarves to cover your arms.
Now, let's see what it takes to bring Mary, Queen of Scots to Bangladesh!
1. J. Mendel Long Sleeve Evening Gown ($5,950; $2,975 deposit) What changes did Reign's Costume Designers make? They removed the white trim at the neckline and wrists, cut slits in the lace overlay to expose the lining and threw on a stunning bridal belt.
2. Amanda Judge Caroline Sash ($558)
3. Salina Built-In Corset Gown ($598)
4. Champagne Long Sleeve Floral Lace Scalloped Hem Dress ($38). Layering off-white lace below the belt will add length and help recreate the look you're going for.
5. Tissue Lace Satin Empire Waist Wedding Dress ($205) It's got the split front, lace, and an empire waist. All it needs is something to cover the arms (and maybe the neckline). This is also available in ivory.
6. Sexy Long Sleeve Chiffon Lace Evening Dress ($140) The contrast between lace and a silky texture reminded me of the J. Mendel. The draping should give you an hourglass figure and maintain some modesty.
7. Floor-Length Long Sleeve Chiffon Dress ($123)
8. Fire and Ice Dress in Champagne ($90) Only available in extra large, but I have a feeling this dress will run small. Here is an alternative from the same store, but you'll need to add fabric to elongate the dress.
9. Bridal or Special Occasion Sash ($72)
10. Crystal Bridal Sash ($60)
Frustrated in your search for that perfect leather handbag, red stiletto pump, or whatever makes your heart go thump in the night? Click here to check out our requests for you, the reader, and to contact us, and we might do the shopping work for you in a future Personal Shopper feature!
Naomi here: I'm a romantic. When I shop, it's got to be love at first sight and I don't want to buy anything if it's less than love. My favorite things to shop for have to be formalwear, swim suits and everyday looks. Whether you're dressing to nines or going beach casual for your dream vacation, I'm ready to find your next favorite look. My other hobbies: scrapbooking, DIY crafts and baking (dessert foods only!), keep me thinking creatively and teach me how to shop for more than the perfect outfit.