Apr 20, 2010 12:29 PM
OB reader Amanda wrote in say, "Help! My boyfriend's mom is getting remarried this summer in what I thought was a low-key affair. There will be only about 15 guests, we're all spending the weekends in cabins and we're dedicating one afternoon to the wedding itself. The only problem is my boyfriend's sister came home one day with a floor length, butter-yellow satin dress and I was then informed that the mom will also be wearing a floor-length dress and that I am to match the sister as the boys will be in tuxes. The mission: I need a knee-length, relatively formal yellow dress that will let me blend in at the wedding and won't get banished to the back of my closet having no other occasion to wear it."
Gotta love wedding season, Amanda! Well, we searched for dresses that, while formal, could easily serve you double duty at summer parties, other weddings, and the occasional date night. Hope you like 'em!
1) Suzi Chin Maggy Boutique Twist Strap Pleated Dress ($148) - Cute, fairly inexpensive, and the empire waist with crossover detailing across the bust is universally flattering.
2) Trina Turk Yellow Ponte Dress ($248) - A simple sheath silhouette with bateau neckline and bustline detailing mean you could even swing this at work, paired with a cardigan.
3) Donna Morgan Belted Chiffon Dress ($138) - Another good semi-formal basic with enough flair to keep it intriguing. We love the draping on the top & the skinny gold belt!
4) Moschino Cheap and Chick Silk-Georgette A-Line Dress ($895) - A little spendy, but the lemon yellow color and high-quality silk are to diiiiie for.
5) Elie Tahari Mona Chain Embellished Draped Dress ($698) - Again, pricier, but the luxurious gold-tone chains peeking out along the neckline mean this could double as a seriously uptown party ensemble.
Like this? You can get your own Personal Shopper feature - well, one for your mother! Enter our Personal Shopper Mother's Day Giveaway here!