kissoff-230.jpg

Attend the Big Fat Kiss-In for us, ok?

Dearest Outblushers,

By now, you've likely heard about Maura Kelly's controversial fat-shaming blog post on Marie Claire's website and the ensuing backlash, including Lesley Kinzel's response. We don't get political here often, unless it's with good cause: This article bleeping pissed us off. It's discrimination, pure and simple, and it's not cool. There are fat people who eat well and work out. There are skinny people who smoke and eat nothing but fast food and wouldn't jog 2 blocks if you paid them. We're not saying we condone unhealthy lifestyles, but we definitely don't condone Maura Kelly's hateful, thoughtless post. Overweight people have a right to live, love, and laugh just as much as thin people. Love has no weight limit.

To all our Outblush babes and hombres in New York City and Philly, there will be Big Fat Kiss-In events at the NYC Marie Claire offices and at Love Park in Philly tomorrow, Friday, October 29, 2010. We can't go, but if you live near either spot, we CHALLENGE you to go! Blow an extra kiss or ten on our behalf, okay? And, if you go, send us a picture! We'll create a collage of your photos and post it here!

We love you all - you are ALL beautiful, no matter what you look like, and no matter what anyone else says!

Love,
The Outblush family

P.S. We want to know what YOU think, and we want to get YOU involved! Leave a comment on Marie Claire's Facebook page to tell them what you think: You'll have to "like" them to do it, but it's worth it in this case! (If you do, @ tag our Facebook page or mention our name to let us know you did - we might send you something special in the mail as a thank you!)

More   News Buy  |   19 comments   |   SHARE

Comments

Stephanie

Posted on 10.28.10 at 3:58 PM

What's so scary about this whole thing is that it has allowed people to think it's acceptable to bash other people on public forums. Have you read the comments from people supporting the article? Who knew so many people that are that hateful live in our "civilized" world. I actually read a comment from one person that said "you're ruffling their fat rolls" (this was in support of the author). What makes this person think it's ok to talk like that? It's so sad, but now the next time I go out, I'm going to be doubly on my guard. I guess I was naive before in thinking I had some level of acceptance in being a plus-size girl. Funny thinking, that.

Sherry Mister

Posted on 10.28.10 at 4:50 PM

I think the comment that was made was very inconsiderate, rude unprossesional,and disrespectful. I willnot be purchasing your magazine againe.

Rachel

Posted on 10.28.10 at 7:53 PM

My last comment on their Facebook page...

"Still loathing Maura Kelly's bias. Living with a disabled child has taught me what it is liked to be a victim of the discrimination and disdain Marie Claire and Maura Kelly seem to encourage. It is not a pleasant way to live your life, with the scorn of strangers. I wonder how many groups of people Maura Kelly chooses to be creeped out by. Would she point and laugh at my kid? Where does she draw her line for hate?

Outblush, you are right, it is discrimination and it isn't cool... With that Marie Claire, you are unliked... and never to be purchased again."

danica

Posted on 10.28.10 at 8:45 PM

I hope that she gets fired and has to serve the very fat people who make her uncomfortable, for the rest of her life while working at McDonalds.

bowers

Posted on 10.29.10 at 4:40 AM

She is probably some lame ignorant silly vain shallow insensitive boring dissatisfied envious unhappy . . . well you get the idea . . . person.

Janetor

Posted on 10.29.10 at 8:18 AM

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments! Sadly, fat shaming is one of the last socially acceptable forms of discrimination.

Palmer

Posted on 10.29.10 at 8:32 AM

So I guess we will be seeing hefty models on Outblush now. Historically some have been scary thin.

theresa

Posted on 10.29.10 at 11:35 AM

As someone in the health field and currently studying nutrition and the effect of exercise on the body, I look at the current state of obesity in our country with horror and disbelief. A recent study determined that up to one third of Americans will have Diabetes by 2050. Obesity is a real problem, and it kills. I believe more folks ought to take their health more seriously.

Aside from true medical conditions (such as torn ACL, massive food allergies, and cognitive dysfuction, etc), there is no reason for any otherwise healthy person to be overweight. The easiest thing to control is what we put in our mouths.

I wonder why there is no public backlash against shows such as the one in question, which is clearly one big exploitative fat joke.

kat

Posted on 10.29.10 at 12:25 PM

Sometimes food isn't the problem, Theresa. Even if someone eats exactly what their dietitian/nutritionist prescribes, they could remain "overweight"/have a high BMI. Activity levels count for a lot, but even combined with nutrition, the solution to what you see as a problem isn't that clear-cut. We all know people who have tried losing weight, but were not successful without starvation or severe nutrient restriction. I've been there myself. It's not easy being pigeon-holed as "fat" or "obese" when you're active and eat well, but wear a size 16 (or anything over whatever the "average" is). It's time to accept people as they are, let them resolve their problems on their time and move on.

Janetor

Posted on 10.29.10 at 12:36 PM

Theresa, I agree with Kat. A HUGE part of the nation's weight problem is related to our dependence on fast food, which is full of fat, sugar, salt, and fake ingredients, but I can tell you from experience: When someone insults a fat person, they'll just eat more and get depressed. If you motivate them and encourage them with positivity and by setting a good example, they'll be more likely to change their habits.

I've known 200+ pound women who eat better and exercise more than some 110 pound women. A lot of it IS genetics - and yes, a lot of it is our modern fast food/laziness culture. That part definitely needs to change, and it is, slowly but surely, with the backlash against HFCS and preservatives and the prevalence of fun workout videos and the like.

What we're trying to say is, all people, regardless of age/gender/weight/height/religion/ethnic background, should be accepted and loved for who they are.

Kristen

Posted on 10.29.10 at 12:59 PM

Nobody should be attacked or threatened for their weight. Period.

Yes, we're accountable for our choices. We can choose to eat better food and to exercise. That's not really the point of the Marie Claire post, though. It wasn't about fitness or weight loss—it was about how disgusting obese people are to the author. Which is exactly what people trying to lose weight need to feel, right? Disgusting. Awesome.

Society has also come to idolize the anorexically thin model and Hollywood star type. It can be depressing for those of us with natural curves! Weight loss isn't easy or natural for a lot of people. Way to slam down a lot of people trying to do their best.

Rachel H.

Posted on 10.29.10 at 2:29 PM

I heard that there is supposed to be a kiss-in in San Francisco too!

Amanda W.

Posted on 10.29.10 at 4:48 PM

I have been overweight since I was 10 years old. I was never taught how to eat correctly and everything I've learned in life about food I've had to learn on my own. After loosing 60lbs I only went down 2 pant sizes! Then I was hit with a blow. I gained it all back plus 30lbs before I was diagnosied with hypothryoidism. On top of that I have a horrible back problems that greatly limits what I can do in the gym and on many days after work what I can do at all. I struggle daily to maintain a 1200cal diet and ignore the programming from my childhood. I think that most of us simply don't understand food and what it does to our bodies and at the same time I don't think medical science yet understands all the factors that can contribute to obesity and weight loss.

Anonymous

Posted on 10.30.10 at 2:42 AM

While I can understand that a sitcom centered on obese people isn't the best message to send to people, I don't understand why Maura Kelly has decided to have an outcry on this issue now, seeing as how shows like The Biggest Loser and whatnot having been around for a while now.

I also don't understand why Outblush is so moral all-of-a-sudden, considering some of your past posts have idolized skinny models and other posts have poked fun at fashion designers and celebrities.

What's the difference between Maura Kelly bullying people and Outblush bullying people? At least have some consistency.

Jillena

Posted on 10.30.10 at 2:52 AM

"I've known 200+ pound women who eat better and exercise more than some 110 pound women."

I absolutely agree with this. In fact, in most cases that I know of personally, this is EXACTLY how it works. The overweight women ENJOY food. They like to make it, enjoy shopping for it, picking out produce, etc. Hey, why WOULDN'T you want to eat it if it's amazing? VS. The "skinny" women eating McDonald's every day but are "skinny fat." They're unhealthy, can't walk a flight of stairs without running out of breath, eat complete crap they don't care about, but sure.. they're thin. So what.

While I'm completely APPALLED at this article, I also disagree with people saying fat-bashing is one of the last acceptable forms of discrimination. I mean, it is, but so is "skinny-bashing." If you're going to give it, you need to learn to take it. You can't get your feathers ruffled in a situation like this if you're also the person telling the "anorexic girls" to "go eat a cookie!" etc. Weight is a hot button issue, for anyone. Not all fat people can control their weight, the same way not all thin people can.

Can't we all just have cotton candy and ride unicorns all day with each other? GEEZ!

Holly

Posted on 10.31.10 at 6:15 PM

Right on, Kristen.

People need to learn that even though they may be thinking something as appalling as this, they don't need to SAY what they are thinking.

danica

Posted on 11.01.10 at 11:03 AM

oh PS, they deleted the article.

kat

Posted on 11.01.10 at 4:55 PM

I just want to say that I REALLY appreciate that the ladies at Outblush actually posted this topic and for allowing this debate surrounding it. It's obviously opened a lot of eyes and got people thinking. Not many people realize that, as a woman who gets filed under "plus" for being a size 16 and "obese" for being over 200 lbs, I can do more than the "normal-sized" people my age. There's a hell of a lot more to it than just fat and laziness!

@Janetor: high five! :)

Jay

Posted on 04.10.13 at 10:01 AM

I really aapupld those parents who encourage bilingual learning. I think you're right it must be loads for work but how beneficial if you can follow through with it. .-= Tina@RideOnToysb4s last blog ..Childrens Ride on Toys Help Kids Reach Important Developmental Milestones =-. Reply