Dec 2, 2011 11:31 AM
These days, we start hearing "Jingle Bells" around October 1st, and the holiday jingle onslaught continues 'til the post-Christmas clearance sales are over in mid-January. As much as we love classic songs like "Silent Night" and "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree", we thought we'd suggest some alternate tunage to you this year. Each of us editors will be presenting our Fab Five Holiday Playlist, of songs that remind us of the joy (and stress) of the holiday season, and some fun gift ideas that tie in with 'em.
There's really nothing that defines the Christmas songs that I like. As long as you don't start playing them 'til December, I'm happy. But since that doesn't ever happen, here are the few that make me all warm inside.
1. Fiona Apple's rendition of Frosty The Snowman is one of my favorites. This was a song I loved singing as a kid, and her sultry voice makes me feel like its ok to still enjoy as an adult. This Divina Victorian Top Hat ($249) is quite a bit fancier than the one ol' Frosty wears, but it'll be a standout on New Years Eve where I plan to wear it.
2. I'll Be Home for Christmas always strikes a chord since I usually travel for the holidays. There's nothing that makes travel easier than a good suitcase that'll hold it all, and I swear by this Victorinox Mobilizer Light ($329). Sure, it's not fancy, but it gets me home with more clothes than I could possibly wear in the week I'm there thanks to its roomy interior.
3. When I was younger I had a tape of Disney characters singing Christmas songs that my dad would hide because I played it so much. My favorite was the 12 Days of Christmas because it devolves into total chaos at the end (much like the holiday season, no?). While I don't think the tape is still around, I still have a soft spot in my heart for that song, and I've always wanted 5 golden rings to wear during the holidays. I think these Gold and Pearl Stacking Rings ($154) would be the perfect choice!
4. Santa Baby - is there any woman out there who doesn't love this song? Of course we want Santa to bring us a slew of amazing gifts! Personally, I get giddy over the little blue box, so I'd love to get a pair of simple Tiffany Beads Earrings ($125).
5. Possibly the most annoying Christmas song of all time, The Chipmunks Christmas Song is still one of my favorites. Last year I did actually get a hula hoop for Christmas and I've been having fun with it all year long! Hoopgirl's Energy Hoop ($45) is the right size for adults and has enough weight to it that you'll get a great workout.
Robin here:I have an obsession with all things glittery, sparkly and glam, even though I tend to spend most of my time in jeans or gym clothes. If I'm not shopping or working out, I'm planning a social gathering of some sort, ranging from a Big Lebowski Bash, Stitch 'n' Bitch, or an Evening of Cocktails and Crudité. Ask me about fitness, crafts, fashion, makeup, hostess gifts, good tunes or my ultimate shopping victory: size 12 rhinestone and spike studded pumps for Vegas.
If you've got a product or service that you'd like to promote on Outblush, click here to find out about our advertising opportunities.