Jan 22, 2010 1:15 PM
The white button-down shirt: bane of cater waiters and staple of the young professional's wardrobe. Devoted reader Liisa sent us an email asking if we could help her find "...the perfect white button down shirt. Or at least several really fantastic ones. I see them every once and a while but they're all highest end designers. If you all found a mid-range designer who made a killer white button down I'd be forever grateful." Well, Liisa, we liive to serve. =) We weren't sure if you wanted the basic model or something with a little frill, so we found a range of 'em and hope you like what we dug up... (And, in our opinion, you can rarely go wrong with a simple tailored oxford from Land's End, Ralph Lauren, or J. Crew. Enjoy!)
1) Banana Republic's Non-Iron Fitted Sateen Shirt ($60) is timeless for a reason: simple shape, great tailoring, and you don't have to iron it. Win-win.
2) A little pricier but definitely worth it, Theory's "Otis Ridge Jennie" Button Down Top ($225) has a basic silhouette and French cuffs, but the tuxedo-inspired pleated bib adds subtle visual interest.
3) Want personalized tailoring without the price? A Rebecca & Drew Classic Value Long Sleeve Stretch Slim Fit Shirt ($150) features princess seaming, a cotton-spandex blend, and a crisp, slim fit.
4) On sale for just $34, the AK Anne Klein Fitted Shirt With Bib has a tone-on-tone white striped fabric, empire waist, princess seams, and eyelet pleat bib for little dashes of extra style.
5) Feeling like flair? The pleated ruffle placket on this Lauren by Ralph Lauren Villenueve Long Sleeve Shirt (also on sale for $34) is crisp and clean, but still adds a little cha-cha to the basic white buttondown.
Frustrated in your search for that perfect leather handbag, red stiletto pump, or whatever makes your heart go thump in the night? Send us a request and we might do the shopping work for you in a future "Personal Shopper" column!
If you've got a product or service that you'd like to promote on Outblush, click here to find out about our advertising opportunities.